BURNABY, B.C. – Kinder Morgan says it will not continue court action against protesters who demonstrated against the proposed expansion of a pipeline while survey crews drilled on Burnaby Mountain.
The company has filed a discontinuance of its B.C. Supreme Court civil lawsuit against five people who protested at the site last November and December.
It says it approached all the defendants last month and offered to stop its proceedings and that two of the defendants agreed but discontinuing the court action doesn’t require agreement from all the activists.
In late November, a judge tossed out civil contempt charges against dozens of activists who were arrested after Kinder Morgan admitted it provided incorrect GPS co-ordinates when it sought an injunction.
The injunction kept away protesters, and the company wanted to extend it beyond a Dec. 1 deadline.
A judge refused to grant that request, forcing Kinder Morgan to pack up before it completed the work.