FINANCIAL AND OPERATIONAL SUMMARY
|Three Months Ended September 30||Nine Months Ended September 30|
|2014||2013||% change||2014||2013||% change|
|Financial ($thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Oil and natural gas sales||19,744||22,628||(13)||65,226||64,285||1|
|Funds from operations (1)||2,774||4,853||(43)||7,300||17,483||(58)|
|Per share basic & diluted (1)||0.01||0.02||(50)||0.02||0.09||(78)|
|Cash provided by (used in) operating activities||791||6,409||(88)||5,267||16,372||(68)|
|Per share basic & diluted||-||0.03||(100)||0.02||0.08||(75)|
|Net income (loss)||213||(6,759)||(104)||(12,170)||(12,464)||(2)|
|Per share basic & diluted||-||(0.03)||(100)||(0.04)||(0.06)||(39)|
|Capital expenditures (excluding acquisitions)||24,871||24,617||1||76,864||89,667||(14)|
|Net acquisitions (dispositions)||-||-||-||(3,821)||10,098||(138)|
|Net debt (1)||34,555||81,566||(58)||34,555||81,566||(58)|
|Average daily sales|
|Crude oil (bbl per day)||2,023||2,387||(15)||2,225||2,491||(11)|
|Natural gas (mcf per day)||7,264||6,743||8||6,491||5,532||17|
|Barrels of oil equivalent (boe per day)||3,234||3,510||(8)||3,307||3,413||(3)|
|Average daily production (boe per day)||3,480||3,510||(1)||3,390||3,413||(1)|
|Oil & NGL, before risk management ($ per bbl)||90.39||95.70||(6)||93.41||87.53||7|
|Oil & NGL, including risk management ($ per bbl)||79.35||84.01||(6)||81.73||84.33||(3)|
|Natural gas, before risk management ($ per mcf)||4.37||2.61||67||4.79||3.15||52|
|Natural gas, including risk management ($ per mcf)||4.34||2.61||66||4.53||3.15||44|
|Netback ($ per boe) (1)|
|Oil and natural gas sales||66.36||70.07||(5)||72.26||68.99||5|
|Common Shares (thousands)|
|Common shares outstanding, end of period||524,927||230,599||128||524,927||230,599||128|
|Weighted average common shares (basic)||362,719||211,282||72||328,858||203,882||61|
|Weighted average common shares (diluted)||362,719||211,282||72||328,858||203,882||61|
|(1) Funds from operations, net debt and operating netback are non-GAAP measurements; see "Non-GAAP Measurements" in the Company's MD&A.|
- Capital expenditures of $24.9 million for the third quarter of 2014 were directed primarily towards the execution of the Company's successful six well drilling program initiated in June 2014. Average daily production totaled 3,480 boe/d for the three months ended September 30, 2014 compared to 3,510 boe/d for the third quarter of 2013.
- Sales volumes for the current period were 3,234 boe/d compared to production of 3,480 boe/d, as the Company was affected by a temporary shut-down of a third party sales oil pipeline. Strategic immediately implemented measures to mitigate the effect of the pipeline shut-down on crude oil production and sales volumes including the use of rail cars for transportation and shipping volumes to a company-owned storage facility, and as a result the Company did not curtail any production due to this event. Oil inventories increased by 22,600 barrels from the previous quarter's levels. This inventory will be added to sales volumes in the fourth quarter of 2014.
- Funds from operations decreased to $2.8 million ($0.01 per share) in the current quarter from $4.9 million ($0.02 per share) for the third quarter of 2013, due to lower oil sales and an increase in general and administrative expenses. Cash flow provided by operating activities decreased to $0.8 million from $6.4 million for the third quarter of 2013 due to reduced funds from operations and payment of liabilities resulting from the summer drilling program.
- The Company's operating netback decreased to $25.11/boe for three months ended September 30, 2014 as compared to $30.03/boe for the previous year, primarily as a result of lower commodity prices and a lower oil weighting in the sales mix in the current period due to the third party pipeline shutdown.
- Strategic closed the first tranche of a private placement on September 30, 2014, issuing 163.9 million common shares for net proceeds of $65.7 million and reducing quarter-end net debt to $34.6 million. The second tranche of the private placement was closed on October 7, 2014, and the Company issued an additional 17.4 million common shares for net proceeds of $7.2 million.
FIRST HALF 2015 GUIDANCEStrategic's Board of Directors has approved a capital expenditure budget of $52 million for the first half of 2015, focused on continued development and extension of the Muskeg fairway at Marlowe. Key highlights of the Company's capital program and guidance for the first half of 2015 are as follows:
- Drill up to 14 wells in the first six months of 2015. Strategic plans to start a second rig in December 2014 and continue drilling with two rigs during the first quarter of 2015. The drilling program consists of 10 horizontal Muskeg wells and up to 4 vertical wells;
- First half average production of 5,000 boe/d;
- First half exit production target of 5,400 boe/d.
Gurpreet Sawhney, Strategic's President and Chief Executive Officer, said: "Our operations team continues to successfully execute our drilling programs. Over the past six months we accelerated development and raised gross proceeds of $73.4 million in a private placement. Despite the current downturn in commodity prices we have maintained a strong liquidity position and will continue to generate positive returns on our drilling programs. We are truly excited about the expansion of drilling operations into the first half of 2015."ABOUT STRATEGIC Strategic is a junior oil and gas company with a dominant land position of 500,000 acres in Canada. The company is committed to building a premier oil company through from its high-quality, concentrated reserve base, and constructing a company-operated integrated sales infrastructure to support the company's significant future growth. Strategic's common shares trade on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol SOG.