TORONTO, ONTARIO–(Marketwired – Sept. 24, 2015) – Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) has received approval from the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for new rates, effective October 1, 2015.
Typical residential customers* who buy their gas supply from Enbridge will see a total bill decrease of about six per cent or $60 a year. As a result, their total bill will be about $882 a year. Natural gas remains the most economical choice for home and water heating in Ontario. Over the past five years, natural gas has been on average over 65 per cent less expensive than electricity and oil**.
“Natural gas continues to provide the best value to our customers, with the typical customer’s total annual bill still less than it was 10 years ago,” says Jamie LeBlanc, Director of Energy Supply and Policy at Enbridge.
Enbridge submits rate adjustment applications every three months to reflect changes in the market price of natural gas and transportation services. The applications are reviewed and approved by the OEB.
For more information on how natural gas rates are set, watch our video.
As the cooler weather approaches, Enbridge reminds customers that there are options to help manage energy bills:
• Customers can find energy efficiency tips at enbridgegas.com/energyefficiency.
• Customers who have signed up for myEnbridge can now access their personalized My Home Health Record, which provides natural gas consumption comparisons to similar homes, along with energy saving tips and advice.
• Customers can register for myEnbridge at enbridgegas.com/myenbridge.
- For qualifying customers:
- The OEB’s Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) provides emergency financial assistance towards past due energy bills. Learn more about LEAP at www.enbridgegas.com/LEAP.
- The Home Winterproofing Program helps residential customers in financial need with free home energy efficiency improvements. Qualifying customers may have free energy efficiency improvements, such as insulation, installed to reduce their energy costs. Learn more at www.enbridgegas.com/winterproofing.
• Customers who are having trouble paying their bills should call Enbridge as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada’s largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution. Enbridge has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past seven years and was also named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers in 2015. Enbridge Gas Distribution and its affiliates distribute natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario, Quebec, New York State and New Brunswick. For more information, visit www.enbridgegas.com or follow us on Twitter @EnbridgeGasNews.
*Calculations are based on the assumption that typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply and transportation from Enbridge, use about 2,400 cubic metres of natural gas a year for home and water heating.
**Natural gas rates are based on Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.’s residential rates effective October 1, 2015. Electricity rates are based on Toronto Hydro’s Ontario Energy Board approved rates effective as of May 2015 and do not include the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit. Oil prices are based on publicly posted Statistics Canada historical prices as of August 2015. Costs have been calculated for the equivalent energy consumed by a typical residential customer and include all service, delivery and energy charges. HST is not included.