TORONTO, Dec. 20, 2017 /CNW/ – Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. (Enbridge) has received approval from the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for new rates, effective January 1, 2018.
Typical residential customers* who buy their gas supply from Enbridge will see a total bill increase of about six and a half per cent, or $58 a year. As a result, their total annual bill will be about $951.
Typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply from a marketer and obtain transportation services from Enbridge, will see an increase of about $56 annually. Their total annual bill depends on the terms of their gas marketer agreement.
The increases are primarily due to changes to Enbridge's distribution rates for 2018 and the conclusion of the Site Restoration Clearance refund.
“Even with these changes, natural gas continues to be the most affordable and reliable choice for home and water heating in Ontario,” says Dave Charleson, Vice President of Energy Supply and Customer Care at Enbridge. “Over the past five years, natural gas has been on average over 65 per cent less expensive than electricity and oil**.”
Options to help manage energy bills:
- Customers can find tips to manage their energy use and current rebate and incentive programs at enbridgegas.com/energyefficiency.
- For qualifying customers:
- The OEB's Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) (enbridgegas.com/LEAP) provides emergency financial assistance towards past due energy bills.
- The Home Winterproofing Program helps residential customers in financial need with free home energy efficiency improvements. Qualifying customers may have free energy efficiency improvements, such as insulation, installed to reduce their energy costs. Learn more at enbridgegas.com/winterproofing.
- Customers who are having trouble paying their bills should call Enbridge as soon as possible to set up payment arrangements.
About Enbridge Gas Distribution
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc. has a more than 165-year history and is Canada's largest natural gas distribution company. It is owned by Enbridge Inc., a Canadian-based leader in energy transportation and distribution, and has ranked as one of the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations for the past eight years. Enbridge Gas Distribution distributes natural gas to over two million customers in Ontario.
For more information contact:
Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.
*Calculations are based on the assumption that typical residential customers, who buy their gas supply and transportation from Enbridge, use about 2,400 cubic metres of natural gas a year for home and water heating.
**Natural gas rates are based on Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.'s residential rates effective January 1, 2018. Electricity rates are based on Toronto Hydro's Ontario Energy Board approved rates up to and including those effective January 1, 2018. Oil prices are based on publicly posted Statistics Canada historical prices up to and including rates available as of October 2017. Costs have been calculated for the equivalent energy consumed by a typical residential customer and include all service, delivery and energy charges. HST is not included.
SOURCE Enbridge Gas Distribution
View original content: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/December2017/20/c4669.html