With news headlines dominated by pipeline power struggles, a lingering lower-for-longer sentiment, and of course the media circus to the south of us, it’s easy to assume that 2017 was a year that didn’t yield a lot of progress for Canada’s E&P energy sector. While 2017 certainly brought challenges, a look back at the data shows that a lot of good work was done by a Canadian E&P sector that simply refuses to say “uncle”.
At XI Technologies we believe in the power of data to enlighten and inspire new solutions. So, we’ve dug into our own data in order to demonstrate and salute some of the accomplishments made possible in 2017 through the ingenuity, innovation, and determination of Canadian E&P operators.
Top Operators For “Productive” Drilling
It’s not just about the number of wells you drill. It’s about the production you’re able to achieve with those wells. Following are the top ten WCSB operators based on the number wells that were drilled and had production in 2017.
Which WCSB operators drilled and achieved production from the most wells in 2017?
Top Operators For New Well Production
Initial production rates can be prolific, especially in unconventional wells. Achieving maximum initial production can have a significant impact on overall ROI for a well or a drilling program by boosting early revenues. In the following infographics, we’ve looked at IP 90 rates for new 2017 gas wells and oil wells.
Gas: Which operators achieved the best rates from their 2017 gas wells?
Oil: Which operators achieved the best rates from their 2017 oil wells?
Top 10 New Producing Gas Wells
Based on the data we’ve seen, Tourmaline had a successful drilling program in 2017, garnering five of the top 10 in terms of initial production rates.
Whose 2017 gas wells had the highest initial production rates?
Wondering where those wells are? Here’s a list of the operators and corresponding UWI:
1. Tourmaline Oil Corp 02/09-29-054-23W5/00
2. Tourmaline Oil Corp 00/02-11-053-24W5/00
3. Tourmaline Oil Corp 00/16-25-050-23W5/00
4. Tourmaline Oil Corp 00/12-01-050-20W5/00
5. Seven Generations Energy Ltd 00/03-29-062-04W6/00
6. Tourmaline Oil Corp 00/04-12-062-06W6/00
7. Peyto Exploration & Development Corp 00/04-29-043-14W5/00
8. Bellatrix Exploration Ltd 00/01-30-044-09W5/00
9. Peyto Exploration & Development Corp 00/11-21-043-14W5/02
10. Canadian Natural Resources Limited 02/09-16-065-08W6/00
Top 10 New Producing Oil Wells
Cenovus and Seven Generations dominated the top ten in terms of highest producing new oil wells in 2017 (wells drilled in 2017 with the highest initial production rate).
Who made the top ten list of 2017 oil wells with the highest initial production rates?
Here’s a list of the top 10 highest producing new wells, by operator and UWI:
1. Cenovus Energy Inc 24/03-14-076-06W4/00
2. Shell Canada Limited 00/14-14-063-20W5/00
3. Cenovus Energy Inc 23/03-14-076-06W4/00
4. Cenovus Energy Inc 35/12-11-076-06W4/00
5. Cenovus Energy Inc 18/07-21-070-04W4/00
6. Seven Generations Energy Ltd 00/03-09-064-04W6/00
7. Seven Generations Energy Ltd 04/03-09-064-04W6/02
8. Cenovus Energy Inc 36/12-11-076-06W4/00
9. Seven Generations Energy Ltd 06/07-08-064-05W6/00
10. Cenovus Energy Inc 07/09-07-070-03W4/02
Top 10 Operators for New Gas Production
Which operators achieved the greatest gas production (in mmcf) from wells drilled in the WCSB in 2017? Once again, Tourmaline comes out on top. The graphic shows the top 10 operators and their cumulative total of produced gas from wells drilled in 2017, ranked from highest total mmcf.
Top 10 Operators for New Oil Production
Which operators added the most oil production from wells drilled in the WCSB in 2017? Here’s a look at the top 10 operators and their cumulative total of produced oil from wells drilled in 2017, ranked from highest total barrels.
Which operators added the most oil production from wells drilled in the WCSB in 2017?
Congratulations to all our WCSB operators and producers. The last few years have been challenging and difficult for all of us, but the Canadian energy industry continues to exhibit a commitment to innovative, responsible production that rivals that of any producing nation. We will prevail!
About XI Technologies Inc.
XI Technologies provides the data driven solutions that Canadian energy companies need for informed decision making, competitive analysis, A&D scoping, asset planning, business development, drilling, operations, regulatory compliance and risk management.
Want to be able to easily pull stats and other market intelligence like the ones shown here? Email XI Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-296-0964.