December 20, 2021 Edmonton, Alberta – Athabasca Minerals Inc. (“AMI” or the “Corporation”) – TSXV:AMI – is pleased to announce it has received, together with Métis North Sand & Gravel, a notice of Award (“Award”) from a major oilsands operator to supply approximately 1 million tonnes (i.e. 992,300 tonnes) of filter sand in 2022 from AMI’s Firebag and Kearl Resources located north of Ft. McMurray.
Dana Archibald, Chief Operating Officer of Athabasca Minerals Inc, says: “we are excited to work with the Fort McKay Métis Nation and its business enterprise, Métis North Sand & Gravel, and support their regional relationships with industry. Our Firebag and Kearl Resources are high-quality and satisfy the technical standards required for the filter-sand industrial application. Our subsidiary, TerraShift Engineering Ltd. will plan and manage geotechnical testing and production at site, while AMI RockChain will coordinate transportation solutions to customer destinations using its proprietary RockChainTM platform and trucking network. Our integrated supply-chain solution draws on AMI’s divisional strengths and synergies for customer price advantage, and reinforces our commitment to the Fort McKay Métis Nation. This Award has a multi-million dollar valuation and scope which will be executed in 2022.”
Crystal Young, Chief Executive Officer of McKay Métis Group (MMG) states: “We are pleased to work with Athabasca Minerals and obtain their support as MMG expands its business model and capabilities in the region. With our business enterprise, Métis North Sand & Gravel, our goals are to be a leading supplier of premium domestic aggregates in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, by offering quality products at attractive prices, and creating a positive economic footprint for our Nation. We are grateful for AMI’s collaboration and support in helping us achieve these goals.”
About Athabasca Minerals Inc.
Athabasca Minerals is an integrated group of companies capable of full life-cycle development and supply of aggregates and industrial minerals. The Corporation is comprised of the following business units:
- AMI Aggregates division produces and sells aggregates out of its corporate pits and manages the Coffey Lake Public Pit on behalf of the Government of Alberta.
- AMI Silica division (amisilica.com) is positioning to become a leading supplier of premium domestic silica sand with regional deposits located in Alberta and North-East BC and holds a 5-year purchase agreement with Shell Canada for the supply of proppant.
- AMI Silica LLC is a 50%-owned subsidiary of the Corporation with JMAC Energy Services LLC that is operational in the United States, with a management contract and an announced acquisition with a major industrial corporation.
- Privco1 & Privco2 are private Alberta corporations acquired by AMI with premium domestic sand holdings strategically located with respect to the Montney and Duvernay sedimentary basins. Privco2 supports the ‘Prosvita Sand Project’ (formerly called the Duvernay Sand Project) and AMI’s development application for regulatory approval. The Prosvita Sand Project has engaged the business interest of an international corporation offering industrial synergies (power, utilities, industrial water, rail, environmental green benefits) and with whom negotiations are ongoing.
- AMI RockChain division (amirockchain.com) is a midstream, technology-enabled business that deploys its proprietary RockChain™ digital platform, associated industry econometrics, supply-chain algorithms, quality-assurance & safety programs to bring customers integrated supply-delivery solutions of industrial minerals to industry, infrastructure and construction sectors.
- TerraShift Engineering (terrashift.ca) was acquired by AMI RockChain in June 2020. TerraShift conducts resource exploration & development programs, regulatory engineering, mine operations planning, environmental reclamation and remediation, and compliance reporting for a growing customer base across Western Canada and Ontario. TerraShift is also the developer of its proprietary TerraMaps™ software.