WINNIPEG – People who live in parts of southeastern Manitoba are getting creative as they endure another day without natural gas following Saturday’s pipeline explosion.
Steve Cope has been placing an electric space heater next to his furnace’s cold-air intake to blow warmth throughout his two-storey home in Niverville.
Cope says he, his wife and their five-year-old daughter have been sleeping in the same room to keep warm, and the house has stayed above 10 C.
The Rural Municipality of Hanover has set up two warming centres for residents whose homes get too cold.
But municipal spokeswoman Heather Chambers Ewen says only one person has shown up since Saturday.
The pipeline explosion knocked out gas to about 4,000 people, and Manitoba Hydro service is expected to start being restored this evening.