• Sign up for the Daily Digest E-mail
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • See more results

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

BOE Report

Sign up

See more results

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
  • Home
  • StackDX Intel
  • Headlines
    • Latest Headlines
    • Featured Companies
    • Columns
    • Discussions
  • Well Activity
    • Well Licences
    • Well Activity Map
  • Property Listings
  • Land Sales
  • M&A Activity
    • M&A Database
    • AER Transfers
  • Markets
  • Rig Counts/Data
    • CAOEC Rig Count
    • Baker Hughes Rig Count
    • USA Rig Count
    • Data
      • Canada Oil Market Data
      • Canada NG Market Data
      • USA Market Data
      • Data Downloads
  • Jobs

B.C. seeks intervener status in court cases against Trans Mountain pipeline

August 22, 20176:21 PM The Canadian Press0 Comments

Trans Mountains pipeline

VANCOUVER – The British Columbia government has applied for intervener status in court challenges against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

The NDP government announced earlier this month that it would be joining the legal fight against Ottawa’s approval of the $7.4-billion project and hired former judge Thomas Berger to provide legal advice.

Several First Nations and municipalities have filed legal challenges against the project, which would triple the capacity of the Alberta-to-B.C. pipeline and increase the number of tankers in Vancouver-area waters.

Attorney General David Eby said the majority of the pipeline is in B.C. and the government should be able to represent the interests of people in the province, notably because the Alberta government has already been granted intervener status.

“We clearly have a distinct point of view from the Attorney General of Alberta in terms of the benefits of this project,” Eby said.

Alberta has long argued that it needs a pipeline to get more of its oil to the West Coast and from there to overseas markets.

B.C.’s former Liberal government issued an environmental certificate for the project earlier this year, but Premier John Horgan campaigned in the spring provincial election his party would do everything possible stop it.

Eby said the government’s specific arguments that it will bring forward to the court, if their application is approved, are still being developed.

“Our goal in every process around this pipeline project is to ensure the interests of British Columbians are protected and that will be the aim of our arguments,” he said.

The province expects a decision on its application to come quickly, as the legal challenges are set to be heard this fall, Eby said.

Trans Mountain, a subsidiary of Kinder Morgan Canada, has said construction is set to begin in September, but the B.C. government has said only three of eight environment management plans have been accepted, preventing work from starting.

Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline

Follow BOE Report
  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn

Sign up for the BOE Report Daily Digest E-mail

Successfully subscribed

Latest Headlines
  • Trump says Iran not ready to make the ‘right deal’
  • Studies show year-round shipping potential from Port of Churchill
  • US energy firms cut rigs for first time in four weeks, says Baker Hughes
  • Why is Trump talking about the Keystone XL oil pipeline?
  • InPlay Oil Corp. Announces Closing of Highly Accretive Acquisition

Return to Home
Alberta GasMonthly Avg.
CAD/GJ
Market Data by TradingView

    Report Error







    Note: The page you are currently on will be sent with your report. If this report is about a different page, please specify.

    About
    • About BOEReport.com
    • In the News
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Editorial Policy
    Resources
    • Widgets
    • Notifications
    • Daily Digest E-mail
    Get In Touch
    • Advertise
    • Post a Job
    • Contact
    • Report Error
    StackDX
    • BOE Report Jobs
    • StackDX Intel
    © 2026 Stack Technologies Ltd.