• Sign up for the Daily Digest E-mail
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • See more results

    Generic selectors
    Exact matches only
    Search in title
    Search in content
    Post Type Selectors

BOE Report

Sign up

See more results

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
  • Home
  • StackDX Intel
  • Headlines
    • Latest Headlines
    • Featured Companies
    • Columns
    • Discussions
  • Well Activity
    • Well Licences
    • Well Activity Map
  • Property Listings
  • Land Sales
  • M&A Activity
    • M&A Database
    • AER Transfers
  • Markets
  • Rig Counts/Data
    • CAOEC Rig Count
    • Baker Hughes Rig Count
    • USA Rig Count
    • Data
      • Canada Oil Market Data
      • Canada NG Market Data
      • USA Market Data
      • Data Downloads
  • Jobs

UAE’s financial embargo on Iran after missile threat puts rivalry back in spotlight

August 19, 20264:49 AM Reuters0 Comments

United Arab Emirates * UAE suspends financial ties with Iran until further notice

* Major Gulf oil producer blames missile threat on Tehran

* Missile launch comes amid standoff over deal to end U.S.-Iran conflict

DUBAI, Aug 19 – The United Arab Emirates’ decision to suspend all financial and economic transactions with Iran until further notice, citing a military escalation by Tehran with a missile threat, has refocused the spotlight on fraught ties between the major Gulf Arab oil producer and Iran. The UAE, a close U.S. ally and regional power, was the Gulf state most heavily hit by Tehran during the early stages of the Middle East war. However, the last reported attack on UAE soil was the May 4 strike on Fujairah port, a key oil export hub. The move by the UAE to sever commercial ties came after its defence ministry said that it had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, an incident that marked the first time in months that residents received telephone alerts warning of possible threats.

In a statement, the ministry said the missiles targeted “maritime traffic” based on its assessments. Both missiles fell into the sea, it said.

The UAE also sent a phone alert on Tuesday to residents stating that the situation was safe and people should resume normal activities after the earlier warning.

Iran’s foreign ministry rejected the statement by the UAE that its missiles targeted maritime traffic, describing it as “baseless.”

UAE SAYS IT IS COMMITTED TO DIALOGUE

Dubai, the UAE’s main commercial hub, is one of Tehran’s most critical economic lifelines. UAE official Afra Al Hameli, Director of the Strategic Communications Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the UAE was committed to dialogue and cooperation to advance peace, stability, and prosperity in the region. Al Hameli said that in light of regional escalations that undermine regional and international peace and security, all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted.

Anwar Gargash, diplomatic advisor to the UAE president, said in a post on X that rumours about the “provision of financial facilities to Iran” are “false and part of desperate media campaigns”. The UAE was drawn into the wider war in the region which began in February with U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran. Tehran’s attacks on UAE soil stopped in May, while they persisted in neighbouring Kuwait and Bahrain. Attacks at sea on its vessels did not stop.

In August, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), one of the world’s largest energy producers, said it was being significantly impacted by what it described as unprovoked attacks on its people and assets, as it sought to continue meeting customer requirements in an “exceptionally challenging environment.” ADNOC said in a statement that several of its vessels had been attacked by missiles and drones while transiting the Strait of Hormuz since the start of the conflict.

The missile launch that the UAE blamed on Iran came as a 60-day window for U.S.-Iranian peace talks expired without a breakthrough, raising fears of a new escalation in the conflict that has disrupted shipping through the Strait of Hormuz since February and rattled global markets.

Iran has not claimed responsibility for the attacks on ADNOC vessels. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have previously ​threatened action against vessels transiting the strait if they are linked to Tehran’s adversaries ​or fail to comply with Iranian directives.

(Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Follow BOE Report
  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn

Sign up for the BOE Report Daily Digest E-mail

Successfully subscribed

Latest Headlines
  • Hydro Vault Energy Inc.: Corporate Divestiture
  • A blown call – global oil and gas production industry is indeed fully up to meeting future demand growth
  • Treeline Well Services Expands into Australia with 10-Year Contract to Supply Origin Energy’s APLNG Project
  • UAE’s financial embargo on Iran after missile threat puts rivalry back in spotlight
  • New oil and gas jobs from BOE Report Jobs

Return to Home
Alberta GasMonthly Avg.
CAD/GJ
Market Data by TradingView

    Report Error







    Note: The page you are currently on will be sent with your report. If this report is about a different page, please specify.

    About
    • About BOEReport.com
    • In the News
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • Editorial Policy
    Resources
    • Widgets
    • Notifications
    • Daily Digest E-mail
    Get In Touch
    • Advertise
    • Post a Job
    • Contact
    • Report Error
    StackDX
    • BOE Report Jobs
    • StackDX Intel
    © 2026 Stack Technologies Ltd.